Alumni Spotlight: Dee Skinner, Fashion Design

Dee SkinnerMeet Dee, Wade College Fashion Design Alumni and Designer/Merchandise Coordinator at Treska, Inc. headquartered in Fort Worth, Texas.

Describe a typical work day:

It is never the same which I absolutely love about my job. Every day is different such as designing prints and textiles for our jewelry, creating mood and trend boards for our collections, grading patterns, creating silhouettes for our jewelry, designing jewelry i.e. (picking out beads, cording, dying beads and cording, different wrapping and weaving techniques). Also, I style, shoot, and edit our merchandise images for our website and manage our social media accounts. I work all the Market Shows, too. During my first week working at Treska, I sat in a meeting pitching my designs and artwork to the Head Buyer at a major corporation. It was mind blowing! I work closely with everyone and all departments from the CEO, CFO, sales, production, design, and warehouse. I’m a “Jill of All Trades” and work is never boring.

What do you enjoy most about your career?

The thing I enjoy most about my job is that I’m not confined to just one role/responsibility. I’m not boxed in and I get to truly be creative with each role. I also enjoy the fact that I’m a part of the entire production cycle “from concept to market to consumer.”     

How did your education at Wade College help prepare you for your career?

My education at Wade helped me to prepare for my career in many ways such as course related curricular, volunteer opportunities which paved the way for more opportunities, and interview preparation.

What advice do you have for students/graduates beginning their careers in your profession?

Never give up! Landing your “dream job” in the industry is a hard task as you are competing against several other qualified candidates, but perseverance is key.

What opportunities, decisions, and events have shaped your professional life? 

While attending Wade, I volunteered for EVERYTHING. I saw each volunteer opportunity as an experience, a potential “job interview”, a learning experience, and an opportunity to build my resume.

What accomplishments are you most proud of?

Landing my dream job. All the blood, sweat, tears, and late nights made it all worth it in the end. I know this is just the beginning and I am very optimistic for the bright future ahead of me.

Motto that you live by:

Keep praying. Keep planning. Keep pushing.

Always dream big and work hard for them to become your reality because one day they will!